Diversity and Inclusion in Academic Medicine: A Strategic Planning Guide
June 13, 2014
The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accreditation standards include specific language for medical education programs to have policies and practices, as well as programs and partnerships that will achieve the school’s diversity and inclusion goals.
This guide, produced by a multi-disciplinary team of experts, provides a roadmap that will not only help you to comply with important diversity standards, but also to pave the way for developing and sustaining a climate and culture of inclusion at your institution.
Part 1 of the guide provides nine essential tasks as a roadmap for the process of diversity and inclusion strategic planning, plus offers key questions to help you think through each task. Part 2 identifies specific strategies that could be included in a plan to meet diversity and inclusion goals, tips for working with leadership, and the skills and competencies needed to succeed as a diversity officer.
- Guidance on setting objectives, identifying tasks, and developing action steps.
- Tips to help you avoid missteps that could slow your progress.
- Why diversity and inclusion should be included in strategic planning, including the case for excellence, accreditation, business and legality.
- Steps you can take in advance to avoid your diversity initiatives from becoming “siloed.”
- Tips to establish clear communication and decision-making channels with the key stakeholders.
- How to achieve buy-in on the timeline for carrying out a diversity initiative.
- Guidance on how the diversity officer’s role should be positioned to have authority and joint accountability to orchestrate meaningful change.
- Why dedicated diversity offers are a necessary pre-requisite for implementing any strategy for diversity.
- The unique set of leadership skills that diversity officers must have or must cultivate to be able to build the trust and credibility needed to move the work forward.
This resource will help make the process of preparing a diversity and inclusion strategic plan more manageable and productive.
This guide is also available in print format on the CreateSpace e-store.
ISBN: 978-1577541387 (PDF edition)
AAMC Members: $25
ISBN: 978-1577541370 (Print edition)