SHPEP – Applications Open Nov. 1st!
October 25, 2023
The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a national program funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation with direction and technical assistance provided by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the American Dental Education Association (ADEA).
We Support Underrepresented Students
SHPEP is a free summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions. SHPEP’s goal is to strengthen the academic proficiency and career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and prepare them for a successful application and matriculation to health professions schools. These students include, but are not limited to, individuals who identify as African American/Black, American Indian and Alaska Native, Hispanic/Latino, and from communities of socioeconomic and educational disadvantage. SHPEP, formerly known as the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP), expanded in 2016 to include a broader array of health professions.
SHPEP offers students a variety of academic and career experiences:
- Academic enrichment in the basic sciences and quantitative topics.
- Learning and study skills development, including methods of individual and group learning.
- Clinical exposure through small-group rotations in health care settings, simulation experiences, and seminars.
- Career development sessions are directed toward exploring the health professions, the admissions process, and developing an education plan.
- A financial literacy and planning workshop that informs students of financial principles and management strategies.
- A health policy seminar series to expose scholars to current health policy issues, the policymaking process and analysis, health care financing, and the social determinants of health.
- An introduction to interprofessional education that addresses effective collaboration across health professions.
Applications open November 1st!